- Information We Obtain
- How We Use the Information We Obtain
- Sharing of Information
- Your Choices
- Policy to California Customers
- How To Contact Us
Information We Obtain
There are three ways in which we may obtain personally identifying information from you: you may submit it; we collect it automatically through our site; or we collect it automatically through Paper and other tools. Different types of information may be collected on each channel, and you should understand both how we do this and what types of information we collect on each channel.
Information You Submit
You may choose to provide us with personal information through the Services, such as through forms, account portals, interfaces and interactions with other customer support portals and channels:
- Contact information, such as your name and email address.
- Other information about yourself, such as your age, gender, location, date of birth, language preference or interests.
- Your photograph.
- Information related or connected to a social media account that you use to sign up or log in to the Services, or when you associate that account with our Services. For instance, when you associate your Facebook account with our Services, we may receive your public profile (name, profile picture, age range, gender, language, country and other public information), your friend list and your email address. If you sign up, log in with or associate other social media accounts with our Services, such as Twitter or Tumblr, we may obtain similar information from those platforms.
Information We Collect by Automated Means On Our Site
Cookies are files that websites send to your computer or other Internet-connected device to uniquely identify your browser or to store information or settings on your device. Our Site may use HTTP cookies, HTML5 cookies and other types of local storage (such as browser-based or plugin-based local storage). Your browser may tell you how to be notified when you receive certain types of cookies and how to restrict or disable certain cookies. Please note, however, that without cookies you may not be able to use all of the features of our Site or other websites and online services.
We may use third-party Web analytics Services on our Site, such as those of Google Analytics. These services providers use the technology described above to help us analyze how users use the Site. The information collected by the technology (including your IP address) will be disclosed to or collected directly by these services providers, who use the information to evaluate your use of the Site. To learn about opting out of Google Analytics, please click here.
Information We Collect by Automated Means With Paper and Other Tools
If you use Paper, we may collect the following information by automated means:
- The type of device you use and its operating system.
- Identification details of your device, such as any unique device identifier such as an IDFA (for iOS) or MAC address.
- IP address of your device.
- Other information about your device, such as your device hardware model, operating system version, or mobile network information.
- Information about your use of Paper.
- Any data associated with and identifying the stylus or other hardware or tools you are using in connection with our Services, including how you use that stylus to interact with Paper and our Services. This might include, for instance, information about service usage, frequency of usage, content placed or accessed, and communications you make available through your use of the Services;
- If we collect device-based, precise geo-location information, we will provide notice to you of that collection and our purpose for doing so.
How We Use the Information We Collect
We may use the information we collect through the Services to provide the Services and fulfill the immediate purpose for which it was requested, as well as for other purposes. These purposes may include:
- Providing, administering and communicating with you about products, services, events and promotions (including by sending you newsletters and other marketing communications).
- Performing diagnostics and analysis to evaluate how our Services operate, and how people are using them.
- Processing, evaluating and responding to your requests, inquiries and applications.
- Managing our customer information databases.
- Administering contests, sweepstakes and surveys.
- Customizing your experience with our Services.
- Operating, evaluating and improving our business (including developing new products and services; managing our communications; performing market research, data analytics and data appends; determining and managing the effectiveness of our advertising and marketing; analyzing our products and Services; and performing accounting, auditing, billing, reconciliation and collection activities).
- Protecting against and preventing fraud, unauthorized transactions, security issues, claims and other liabilities, and managing risk exposure and quality.
- Providing customer support and diagnostic assistance, for instance, by reviewing information collected from the “Pencil” stylus or other hardware and tools you use.
Sometimes, we may combine certain parts of this information. For instance, when we provide you with customer support or other assistance, we may combine your account information and other personal information you’ve provided to us with information about your usage of the App, the Services, or the Pencil.
Sharing of Information
We may share personal information we collect on the Services with certain Services providers, who provide customer or technical support, billing support, shipping and order fulfillment, marketing and email services, data support and services, and other operational services that help us offer our own Services to you.
We also may disclose information about you (i) if we are required to do so by law, regulation or legal process, such as a court order or subpoena; (ii) in response to requests by government agencies, such as law enforcement authorities; or (iii) when we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to prevent physical, financial or other harm, injury or loss; or (iv) in connection with an investigation of suspected or actual unlawful activity. We also may disclose aggregated or non-identifiable information to third parties in a manner that does not identify particular users.
If we sell or transfer all or a portion of our business or assets (including in the event of a reorganization, dissolution or liquidation), then the information we have collected from you will likely be part of that transfer, as well.
Where applicable, you may amend your preferences regarding how we communicate with you by updating your profile or settings within your Paper account or contacting us as described in the How to Contact Us section below. You also may use certain settings features Paper to modify certain preferences regarding the sharing functionality of the app. You may unsubscribe from marketing-oriented emails by clicking on the “unsubscribe” link in those emails.
Our “store” is hosted on servers operated and hosted by Shopify, Inc. Shopify provides us with the online e-commerce platform that allows us to sell certain of our products and services to you, such as certain hard goods we offer. Your data is stored through Shopify’s data storage, databases and the general Shopify application. They store your data on a secure server behind a firewall.
Policy to California Customers
Subject to certain limitations under California Civil Code § 1798.83, if you are a California resident, you may ask us to provide you with (i) a list of certain categories of personal information that we have disclosed to certain third parties for their direct marketing purposes during the immediately preceding calendar year and (ii) the identity of certain third parties that received personal information from us for their direct marketing purposes during that calendar year. We do not, however, share your personal information with marketers, subject to the above statute.
Accessing or Changing Your Account Information
If you need to change or delete any personal information comprising your account (such as your name or email address), you may do so in your account settings in the App, or you may contact us at email@example.com. Please note that we may retain (and may be required to maintain) certain information for a period of time, for legal, accounting, or anti-fraud purposes.
Users From Outside the United States
The Services are provided, supported and hosted in the United States. Use of the Services is governed by United States law. If you are using the Services from outside of the United States, please be aware that any information we collect under this Policy may be transferred to, stored and processed in the United States. The data protection and other laws of the United States are not always as comprehensive as those in other countries. By using the Services, you consent to your information being transferred to our facilities.
Users Under Thirteen Years of Age
The Services are not intended for users under thirteen years of age, and if you are under thirteen years of age, please do not use the Services, or provide us with any information. Any ratings for the App or the Services provided by any third party shall have no bearing on this restriction.
No Third Party Rights
How to Contact Us
Effective Date: November 19, 2013